Wednesday, February 6, 2008

WE HAVE BEEN HEARD!

Interpreters, I am happy to inform you that our complaints did not go unnoticed. Today I received a call from Winnie Heh, the Vice President of Global Operations. It was exactly the opportunity we wanted to express our grievances to a person that could actually change something. I cannot say that our conversation was all that fruitful. I was fed a lot of BS about how the company is under pressure from its clients to cut their rates, how clients cannot afford to pay more because of the overall condition of the economy nowadays and so on and so forth. I expressed my doubts (which I believe everyone shares with me) that its very difficult to believe because of the recent purchases of other companies, the extravagant salaries of the Excutive team for LLS which can be seen in the previous post, the increase in call volume, and the excutive team's own statements in news publications that our company is becoming more profitable.

Although I dont feel that the points made in the conversation by the Vice President were very realistic or represented an accurate picture of the situation, I do commend and appreciate her willingness to take time out of her day to at least aknowledge our greviances. This shows that the management is willing to listen and although it does not solve any of our issues, it is personally gratifying to know that we are at least being heard.

On the bright side she inquired what suggestions I might have OTHER than raises for interpreters. I suggested that :
1. Interpretors that have been faithful to the company for a decent amount of time should be given raises at least occasionally in order to reward accumulated years of service.

2. If they are only able to reward a few interpreters and not all of us, they should do so on the basis of our quarterly evaluations so that workers can have an incentive to strivde (meaning if an interpreter excels consistently for several quarters). Either by raise or increase of their quarterly bonus to the point that it is worth talking about.

3. Or at the very least, they could award good interpreters with extra vacation days for good performance.

Although it is uncertain whether there will be any fruits from the conversation with the VP, I am pleased that the management is atleast willing to listen to our grievances. Because of this I encourage everyone, even those who has no beef with LLS, to send me their email addresses or post them on the site so we can support each other and get our point through to the executive team.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Ms. Heh's statements about competition preventing the company from giving raises rings hollow.

It is a company dominated by non-US born individuals, and my experience tells me, such companies are more likely to have behaviors closer to those in third-world countries than to those in the U.S.A. What they are trying to do is extract even more sacrifices from interpreters, who are the lifeblood of this organization.

There are two different groups of interpreters, for those of us who are not aware: those "employees" and those "contractors". The employees'salaries are frozen after the first (and only) raise they receive six months into the job. These employees get minimal amount of money each month to pay towards their health care needs, get two weeks vacation, and NO holidays (I have never heard of full-time employees of a company not given ANY day off out of the 12 or so national holidays, have you?). There are just three days that LLS recognizes (but still won't give employees time off, i.e., if you somehow get permission to have those days off you do not get paid) and will pay time and half for those days that you are scheduled to work. Those are: New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

Ironically, the company does not follow its own rules last year: there were some "employees" who were taken off schedule on CHRISTMAS EVE day, even though, again, it is not a LLS-recognized holiday and LLS is not ever supposed to take you off your regular schedule, just so they can cut payroll costs.

As for contractors, I think that it is standard everywhere that you not have any vacation or holiday. This is true of contractors who make over $100,000 a year or those who make $6,000 a year. So the main issue here is to pay us fairly. It is not decent for a company to pay 30 cents a minute (with uncertain amount of work per day) and still expect quality work. Face it, local companies pay a lot more (until they get gobbled up by sharks like LLS), and quality interpreters have many options. The idea is to unite and have a coordinated plan for actions.

I see the critical areas that need to be addressed as follows:

1) For employees, pay raises, even by 15 cents per hour, every year.

2)Real holidays that "employees" actually have, and it would be their choice to work (with time and half pay) or not work (with regular pay) those days. I'd say, let's start small: only New Year's Day, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

3)Decent rate for "contractors". Obviously, the rate depends on the language, and I do not know much about demands for various languages to offer an intelligent opinion. But basically, a decent employer will not offer "starvation" pay rate to professionals who devote themselves to making this company the envy of the industry it is today.

Thank you for this blog that gives people like us an outlet.

Tasha

Anonymous said...

Most of us have to deal with $7.50 USD an hour with a busy language like, Spanish. I have an average of 400 minutes a day five days a week. I do not even like to do the math just to keep depression away!!! But of course, it is fair for LL to make out of my efforts $ 7,900 a week??? ($3.95 per minute charge x 400mins = $1,580 daily x 5 days = $7,900) They should be embarrassed. What would their clients think of their prestigious company if our work conditions get picked up somehow by the media?!?!hummmm….

INTERPRETER said...

Very good point. I think we might wanna think of how we can get our frustration out to the media.

Gerardo said...

The company will never take us seriously until we take a "sick" day as a group. They have absolutely no leverage over us. They will never cede any benefits unless we show that we can communicate. The question is, who is willing to show their stripes? What we're asking for is no unreasonable. If you are happy with what you are getting, then don't respond. The question is this, are you satisfied? Do you feel you can be hear? Or is this the most effective divide and conquer strategy you have been ever been part of? Let me ask you this: who protects your interests? Remain anonymous and you'll keep getting what you "deserve."

Anonymous said...

Sick day as a group??? great!!! but how do we comunicate that to our pears??? media is the only solution. What ya think?

Anonymous said...

I started out as a "kelly" and then moved on as a "contractor". No raises in years with no hopes of ever receiving one. Then they cut my salary by 30% with no negotiation. It was one-sided. Their excuses are empty and unfounded. I know how the company has grown and I understand WHO is raking in the money with both hands and who is being robbed. We are not stupid! But I have good news! LLS is NOT the only game in town. I was approached by a huge competitor who says they have tripled their call volume and desperately need interpreters. They have taken me on, based on my resume only. They are willing to pay me 30% more than LLS. Guess who I am doing business with? They need interpreters for all languages, european, asian and african. So get busy. Write a beautiful resume and look elsewhere. This deadly move that LLS dared to take to rob us of our income should be your incentive to "move on". LLS is hurting for qualified interpreters and they will have to beg me to come back with a fist full of money in their hands.

Anonymous said...

Do you care sharing the information to where I need to send y resume???or a hint maybe!? thanks.....!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes please!!! Email info to the the President or the unofficial union and she can forward the info to the blog's members confidencially. I beg you!!!

INTERPRETER said...

Guys, I love you for your enthusiasm! Please, keep networking for us - send the word to everyone you know! My email has changed if you noticed pukalces@uc.edu, because my old one is overflowing with all the letters I get.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I have been working for Tele-Interpreters for a few years. Last year they cut my rate by 35% "to fight competition". Well, it didn't help them, and now they are a part of LLS. I think it would be a good idea to put together a list of major companies providing OTH interpretation to figure out what they are doing. I know Pacific Interpreters, and Andalex (Tele-language). They all seem to be in the West Coast. There is the Big Word, they're British, but they outsource in the US. Any other that count? Monika

Anonymous said...

There are over wah 200 Spa Interpreters in Puerto Rico, besides the ones in calls centers in Panama and the Dominican Republic.

Anonymous said...

Hello all,
I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one feling frustrated. I'm not happy at all with the changes that are coming. When I accepted the job, I was told I could remain a customer service interpreter for as long as I wanted. Well I guess that has changed.

I feel so unprepared to take the new type of calls, how do they expect us to be ready in 2 weeks. It is very stresfull to know that you have to learn so much information in so little time.

Time will tell I guess, either we sink or swim.